$1.25 and 3 Minute Overnight Oats
For too long I lived my life under the false impression that oats are bad for you. I associated oats with carbs and carbs with unhealthy. Then I compared this belief to my eating values – unprocessed ingredients with minimal, all-natural sweetener – and saw that it was completely unfounded. Organic rolled oats were not something to be avoided, but to be enjoyed in moderation like all good food! This quick, healthy, affordable, and delicious recipe along with my $0.50 and 5 Minute Oat Breakfast Cake recipe is a product of this change of heart and have transformed breakfast in the Cafe4111 kitchen.
Ingredients (1 Serving):
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 2 TBSP of unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 TBSP of chia seeds
- 2 tsp of your choice of spice (cocoa powder and cinnamon are my favorites!)
- <1/16 tsp of salt (aka a sprinkle of salt)
- $2 and 5 Minute Almond Butter
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Anything else that sounds good to you!
- Small bowl
- Spoon for mixing
- Add all ingredients into the small bowl in any order.
- Mix with a spoon until evenly combined.
- Put in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Total time = 3 Minutes (3 minutes to prep)
Ingredients: If needed you can swap the chia seeds for flax seeds at a 1:1 ratio. In my opinion, flax is a stronger flavor while chia is more neutral. I prefer to use chia and let the spices do the talking!
Step 3 – You need an hour to allow the oats and chia to absorb the milk. This will give you that oatmeal texture without turning on the stove or the microwave!
I usually do steps 1 and 2 right before going to bed so that they’re ready when I roll out of bed in the morning. Hence Overnight Oats!
- 1/2 cup whole milk ~ $0.25
- 1/2 cup rolled oats ~ $0.25
- 2 TBSP unsweetened coconut flakes ~ $0.15
- 1 TBSP chia seeds ~ $0.10
- 1 tsp cocoa powder ~ $0.10
- <1/16 tsp of salt – negligible
- Toppings ~ $0.50
Cost per serving ~ $1.25
You’re running out of good excuses not to start off your day with a healthy, delicious breakfast. These $1.25 and 3 Minute Overnight Oats prove once again that your first meal of the day can be quick and affordable. Plus now you’ve got a couple great options to keep your palate to keep your palate entertained!
- $2 and 7 Minute Creamy Scrambled Eggs
- $0.50 and 5 Minute Oat Breakfast Cake
- $4.50 and 30 Minute Sweet Potato Hash
As always, make informed food decisions. Know your ingredients, know your costs!