$0.55 and 5 Minute Cinnamon Triple Macchiato
There’s no better way to start the day than with a full breakfast followed by some espresso with home-roasted coffee beans. Add some cinnamon and foamed milk and you’ll have the perfect cup to give you all the energy you need and then some to take on the day’s challenges for less than $1!
- Home-roasted coffee beans
- 3 oz milk of your choice (I use organic whole milk)
- Cinnamon stick
- Stovetop Espresso Maker
- Small glass jar or Mason jar
- The night before, put the milk and a cinnamon stick in a small glass jar in the refrigerator.
- The morning of, prep and make espresso with your stovetop espresso maker with freshly ground home-roasted coffee.
- Shake milk and cinnamon stick mixture vigorously for 30 seconds to create foam.
- Put milk into the microwave for 40 seconds on power level 5.
- Pour your desired amount of espresso and scoop equal part of foamed milk.
Total servings – 2 triple macchiatos (depends on the size of your stovetop espresso maker)
Step 1 – For a while, I was dumping cinnamon into my coffee but it would all clump up at the bottom of the cup and not be the most enjoyable thing to drink. Instead, the night before you can put the milk in the small glass jar with a cinnamon stick and in the morning – BAM – cinnamon flavored milk with no clumps! Ground cinnamon will work in a pinch, just beware of the clumps!
Step 2 – Prep the stovetop espresso maker sounds so easy right?! Be patient, these simple looking things can be temperamental! But hopefully these tips can help you get yours in line:
- Fill to the line shown in the picture below.
- Screw the top piece on as tight as you can.
- Set burner to medium heat.
- Wait patiently for 10-12 minutes.
Step 4 – Do not heat the milk before shaking it. The shaking forms the foam and the heat stabilizes it.
Step 5: You’ll end up with a combination of warm milk and milk foam, use a spoon to scoop in the amount of milk foam you desire!
- 3 oz of espresso – $0.40 (Analysis can be found in Home Roasting Coffee Beans post)
- 3oz of milk – $0.13
- 1 cinnamon stick – negligible (Re-use for future macchiatos/lattes)
Cost per homemade triple macchiato = $0.55
You can make this! For a fraction of the cost at the coffee shop, you can guarantee the highest quality coffee beans and milk went into your creation. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
As always, make informed food decisions. Know your ingredients, know your costs!