$0.75 and 50 Minute Chocolate Cake
A world without chocolate cake is not a world I want to live in. However, it’s no secret that a couple slices of chocolate cake aren’t the definition of healthy eating. Thankfully there’s a healthy way to work in chocolate cake to celebrate special occasions or a successful Tuesday! Especially when this chocolate cake is refined sugar free, gluten-free, and contains no processed ingredients while only taking about 50 minutes to create (cooling time included)! Party on!
Ingredients (~10 Servings):
- 1 1/2 cups of almond flour or almond meal (they’re the same thing!)
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup of organic, local honey
- 3 pasture raised eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- Spoon or spatula for mixing
- Non-stick 8″ circular cake pan
- Cling wrap
- Medium bowl
- Large bowl
- In the medium bowl, mix the almond flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In the large bowl, crack the eggs and whisk together.
- In the large bowl, mix the eggs with olive oil, honey and vanilla extract.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the large bowl of wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Cover your hand with cling wrap, put 1/2 tsp of olive oil in the circular pan and use your hand to spread it across all sides.
- Pour the mixture into the oiled pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a touch pick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake from pan and allow 15 minutes to rest on a baking tray to cool. Enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Total time = 50 Minutes (10 minutes to prep, 25 minutes to cook, 15 minutes to cool)
Step 3 – I haven’t tested this recipe with an egg replacement yet. If you try it with a flax or chia egg to make the recipe vegan, let me know! I’d recommend trying chia seeds since chia has a more neutral flavor than flax.
Step 6 – See picture below of my hand wrapped in cling wrap. If only I’d pursued hand modeling instead of food blogging…
Step 7 – Take advantage of the time the cake is in the oven to do your clean up! Once that cake come out of the oven the only thing left to do should be to eat a slice!
Step 8 – Feel free to cool in the refrigerator and ice with the chocolate sauce from $5 and 30 Minute Cardamom Squares and top it with roasted nuts or fruit!
Also, if serving with ice cream you can reduce the amount of honey to 2 TBSP. The ice cream will easily overcome the honey reduction.
- 1 1/2 cups of almond flour ~ $2.50
- 1/2 cup of olive oil ~ $1
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder ~ $0.25
- 1/4 cup of honey ~ $1
- 3 eggs ~ $1.50
- 1 tsp vanilla extract ~ $0.50
- 1 tsp baking soda – negligible
- 1/2 tsp of salt – negligible
Total Cost per 8″ circular cake pan ~ $7
Cost per serving (~10 servings) ~ $0.75
I used to associate cake with cups of refined sugar and processed ingredients. Basically over-indulgence, which is the opposite of the moderation approach I preach! I don’t get me wrong I’m not saying you should never each a decadent funfetti cake on your birthday (I have and will again!), just know when you are choosing what type of cake to make a cup of sugar and stick of butter are not requirements to create something delicious! With a little kitchen creativity, you can have your chocolate cake and then some more chocolate cake.
As always, make informed food decisions. Know your ingredients, know your costs!