$10 and 30 Minute Cashew Pumpkin Pie
Looking for a healthier way to satisfy your pumpkin pie cravings this Thanksgiving? Cashew Pumpkin Pie is the answer. For about the same price as a store-bought pie, you get all the pumpkin pie flavor you love without any of the refined sugar, heavy cream or processed pie crust! And better yet, you can make it ahead of time to remove some stress from Thanksgiving Day cooking. Save yourself the prep work and remove any guilt over another slice!
Ingredients (Makes a 4.5″ x 8.5″ Loaf Pan ~10 Servings):
- 1.5 cups of raw cashews
- 15oz of organic pumpkin puree (1 can)
- 2 TBSP of maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP of pumpkin spice (3 TBSP cinnamon, 2 tsp ginger, 2 tsp allspice, 2 tsp cloves)
- 1 cups of raw walnuts
- 2 pitted Medjool dates
- <1/8 tsp of salt
- Loaf pan (~ 4.5″ by 8.5″ – any sized pan will do, just increase the ingredients!)
- Food processor
- Small spatula or spoon
- Soak cashews in room temperature water for 6+ hours (aka overnight).
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper (see how in $6 and 30 Minute Key Lime Avocado Pie post!)
- Add walnuts, dates and salt to the food processor. Pulse until they combine to form small clumps (~1 min). Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Spoon out nut-date mixture into loaf pan. Press down with the back of the spoon until the mixture is even and flat(-ish).
- Drain cashews and add them to the food processor with the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, pumpkin spice, and salt. Blend until the cashews can no longer be seen and the mixture is smooth (~3 minutes). Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Scoop the pumpkin and cashew mixture into the loaf pan on top of the nut-date mixture. Smooth into corners using the back of a spoon.
- Decorate with more pumpkin spice or pecans if desired.
- Freeze for 30 minutes and enjoy! Overnight freeze/thaw advice in Tips below.
Step 1 – If you forget to soak your cashews, I’ve heard you can soften them by putting them in boiling water for an hour. Haven’t tried it before, let me know if you do!
Step 2 – If dates look very dry, you can soak them in water for 5-10 minutes while you get out all the other ingredients. Pat them dry with a paper towel prior to use.
Step 8 – If storing the pie in the freezer overnight, move it to the refrigerator in the morning and then allow 45 minutes on the counter for it to completely thaw. If taking the pie straight out of the freezer allow at least 2 hours to thaw.
- 1.5 cups of raw cashews ~ $4.5
- 15oz of organic pumpkin puree (1 can) ~ $2
- 2 TBSP of maple syrup ~ $0.50
- 1 TBSP of pumpkin spice ~ $0.25
- 1 cups of raw walnuts ~ $2
- 2 pitted Medjool dates ~ $0.75
- Salt – negligible
Total Cost per 4.5″ x 8.5″ loaf pan ~ $10
Cost per serving (~10 servings) ~ $1
Thanksgiving doesn’t have to be an unhealthy holiday! This is a great healthy dessert option that is made even better when shared with family and friends! Do yourself and your loved one’s waistlines a favor and try it out this year!
As always, make informed food decisions. Know your ingredients, know your costs!