$1.50 and 20 Minute Crispy Brussels Sprouts
I’m all for some great restaurant crispy Brussels sprouts but for $8-10 dollars an appetizer plate, it’s just not financially sustainable. There’s got to be a way to get these delicious vegetables on the plate every night without breaking the bank. Good thing you can pick up a pound at the grocery store for $2.50 and in 20 minutes you can recreate that restaurant experience for you and a friend in your own kitchen!
Ingredients (2-4 Servings):
- 1 lb of Brussels sprouts (yes, this is really how it is spelled…)
- 1 TBSP avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP of red wine vinegar (optional)
- 10″ Non-stick sauté pan
- Medium-sized bowl
- Cutting board
- Chef’s Knife
- Rinse and chop a sliver off of the bottom of each Brussels sprout. Then coat them in half or into quarters depending on your desired size.
- Put the Brussel sprouts in a bowl and toss in oil, salt until coated.
- Heat pan to med-high (~7 out of 10) on the stove top, add the Brussel sprouts, and spread them around the pan as evenly as possible.
- Cook the Brussel Sprouts for 10 minutes. Don’t touch them except to flip them around minute 4 and minute 7.
- Transfer them back to prep bowl, toss with olive oil and vinegar and enjoy!
Total Time = 20 Minutes (10 minutes to prep, 10 minutes to cook)
Step 2 – Some of the outer leaves might fall off when chopping the Brussel Sprouts. Make sure to add the leaves to the bowl. Cooking these leaves will make your final product extra crispy and delicious!
Step 3/4 – Not moving/stirring the Brussels Spouts is the key to getting those awesome brown mark you crave. They come from the contact between the hot pan and the surface of the Brussels sprouts.
Step 5 – If desired, you can add the following at the first flip:
- 1/2 onion (sweet, yellow, white, red or shallot)
- 1/2 lb of mushrooms
- 1 TBSP of sunflower seeds or Pumpkin seeds
- 1 lb of Brussels sprouts ~ $2.50
- 1 TBSP Avocado oil ~ $0.25
- 1 TBSP olive oil ~ $10
- 1 TBSP red wine vinegar ~ $0.15
Total cost for 1 lb of Brussel sprouts (2 servings) ~ $3
Total cost per serving: $1.50
Next time you hear someone say, “you need to try [insert fancy restaurant name here]’s crispy Brussel sprouts”, you should respond “You need to try MY crispy Brussels sprouts.” Sure, they might be a little confused about your passion for your Brussels sprouts, but they’ll get over it after one bite! Especially if you serve them with one of the following recipes:
As always, make informed food decisions. Know your ingredients, know your costs!