$6 and 30 Minute Avocado Key Lime Pie
Want to eat pie all day? Now you can! Thanks to this guilt-free avocado key lime pie. All you need is $6, 6 ingredients, and 30 minutes to prepare a treat you won’t soon forget!
Ingredients (Makes 4.5″ x 8.5″ loaf pan, ~10 Servings):
- 1/2 cups of walnuts
- 1/2 cups of almond
- 2 Medjool pitted dates
- 1/8 tsp of salt (if nuts are salted, no salt needed)
- 8 oz of ripe avocado (~ 2 small avocados or 1 large avocado)
- 3 TBSP of lime juice (~1-2 limes)
- Zest of one lime (can be substituted for more lime juice)
- 2 TBSP of honey
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- Sliced almonds
- Shredded coconut
- Flax seeds
- Anything you want
- Loaf Pan (~ 4.5″ by 8.5″ – any sized pan will do, just increase the ingredients!)
- Food Processor
- Line the loaf pan with parchment paper (see the picture in Tip 1 below).
- Add walnuts, almonds, dates, and salt (if necessary) into the food processor. Pulse until they combine to form small clumps (~1 min). Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Spoon out nut-date mixture into loaf pan. Press down with the back of the spoon until the mixture is even and flat. Don’t forget the corners!
- Rinse the food processor.
- Add avocados, lime juice, lime zest, honey, and salt into the food processor. Pulse until smooth (~1 min). Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Pour avocado-lime-honey mixture into loaf pan on top of nut-date mixture. Smooth into corners using the back of a spoon.
- Decorate with almonds, coconuts, or whatever else you’re feeling!
- Put in freezer for 2 hours for avocado-lime-honey filling to harden.
- Remove from freezer, pull on edges of the parchment paper to remove pie from pan and then cut up into the size of your choice.
Total time = 30 Minutes (5 minutes to prep, 25 minutes to make)
Step 1 – This is what I mean by “line the loaf pan.” Cut two pieces of parchment paper to size and layer the larger piece on top of the smaller piece. This will lead to easier removal from the pan. See picture below:
Step 3 – I recommend leaving a spoonful or two of the date-nut mixture in the food processor. When spreading out the nut-date mixture there are always low spots. It’s easier to spoon in what you saved than to try to spread the mixture around once it’s already compressed in the pan. When you’re done with this step it should look something like this:
Step 5 – Everyone’s taste buds are different. Some people are all about the lime citrus kick while others are into the sweetness of the honey-avocado mixture. Taste at this step and adjust ingredients accordingly to create your perfect avocado key lime pie.
Step 9 – If the pie doesn’t immediately un-stick from the pan when you pull up on the parchment paper, use a knife to separate the corners from the pan and then pull up on the parchment paper again. For slicing the pie, I recommend using a long serrated knife or a bench knife.
Step 10 – I recommend eating before the pie warms up to room temperature (~30 minutes). It’s still great at room temperature, however the avocado filling can become a little runny.
- 1/2 cups of walnuts ~ $1.00
- 1/2 cups of almond ~ $1.00
- 2 Medjool pitted dates ~ $0.75
- 8 oz of ripe avocado (~ 2 small avocados or 1 large avocado) ~ $2
- 3 TBSP of lime juice (~1-2 limes) ~ $0.50
- 2 TBSP of honey – $0.50
- Toppings (sliced almonds, shredded coconut, etc) ~ $0.25
- 1/2 tsp of salt – negligible
Total Cost per 4.5″ x 8.5″ loaf pan ~ $6
Bye-bye store-bought pies, you just created a healthy dessert that tastes amazing, is low in sugar and high in healthy fats. Win-win-win. When making food like this, you should be having dessert with every meal!
As always, make informed food decisions. Know your ingredients, know your costs!