$2 And 5 Minute Cup of Almond Butter
Did you know making your own almond butter is as simple as buying almonds and owning a food processor? Seriously that’s it. No additional palm oils or preservatives required. Plus when you make a cup of your own for $2 in only 5 minutes, you can really make it your own. For me, that’s Honey Espresso or Chai flavored almond butter. Sound delicious? Trust me it is!
- 1 cup raw or roasted almonds
- 1/8 teaspoon if using unsalted nuts
Honey Espresso Almond Butter
- 1 TBSP local, organic honey
- 1 TBSP unused espresso grounds
Chai Almond Butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Food processor
- Spoon or spatula to scrape down edges of food processor
- Pour 1 cup of almond into the food processor.
- Process on high until almonds release oils and smooth almond butter is formed (~1-2 minutes). Scrape down the sides as needed to ensure an even consistency.
- Add any additional spices/sweeteners to the food processor with almond butter and process until fully mixed (~30 seconds).
Total time = 5 Minutes
Tool Tip: Any food processor will work, however some are a little louder than others. I use a roughly ~$30 food processor that can be found on the Apartment Chef Tools page – it’s a little loud but not unbearable, especially when a couple minutes later you have delicious homemade almond butter.
Step 2 – Your almonds will go through a couple different stages on their journey to becoming smooth almond butter. First, the almonds will be dry and roughly chopped – if you stop here you have the perfect topping for a $2 and 10 Minute Salad. Next, it will form into semi-moist clumps that will rattle around the food processor – if you stop here and mix in some dates then you’ve got the perfect crust for $6 and 30 Minute Avocado Key Lime Pie or $10 and 30 Minute Cashew Pumpkin Pie. Finally, the nuts will release their oils and smooth almond butter is created!
Step 3 – You can’t under process almond butter. My recommendation is to process until you think it’s done and then process for 30 seconds more. I’ve never complained that my almond butter was too smooth.
Also, fold in the dry ingredients to prevent them from flying up to the top of the food processor when you turn it on.
Cost per Cup of Honey Espresso Almond Butter:
- 1 cup almonds – $2
- 1/8 tsp salt – negligible
- 1 TBSP local, organic honey ~ $0.25
- 1 TBSP unused espresso grounds ~ $0.25
Cost per cup of almond butter (~4 servings) ~ $2.00
Cost per cup of honey espresso almond butter (~4 servings) ~ $2.50
Making your own creations from unprocessed ingredients is empowering. You are no longer limited to what you can find on the grocery store shelves. With almonds (or peanuts or walnuts or pecans…) plus spices and your imagination and you can create just about anything. Snack time will never be the same!
As always, know your ingredients, know your costs!