Three words. Two ingredients. Banana coconut cookies. You guessed it: all you need is banana and coconut. And $0.10. Once you’ve gathered all that, 25 minutes later you’ve got a batch of guilt-free cookies.
Ingredients (10 Cookies):
- 5 oz of banana (~1 large banana)
- 2.5 oz of shredded coconut (~3/4 cup)
As long as the ratio of banana to coconut is about 2:1, you can make any batch size you want!
Chocolate Icing (Optional)
- 1/4 cup of chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp of coconut oil
You can also use the chocolate icing from the $5 and 30 Minute Cardamom Squares recipe if you want to avoid using chocolate chips!
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Medium-sized bowl
- Small bowl (for icing)
- Small Ziploc bag (for icing)
- Scissors (for icing)
- Mash the banana in the bowl with a fork.
- Add shredded coconut and stir to combine.
- Scoop 8-12 cookies onto prepared baking sheet.
- Flatten the cookies with the back of the spoon to about 1-2 cm high.
- Bake @ 350F for 17 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom.
- Combine chocolate chips and coconut oil in small bowl.
- Microwave on medium for 1 minute.
- Stir to combine into spreadable liquid.
- Pour into Ziploc bag and cut a small hole in the corner.
- Zip up the bag and create cool cookie designs!
Total time = 25 minutes (8 minutes to prep, 17 minutes to cook)
Cookies Step 4 – Should look something like before entering oven:
Icing Step 5 – People make icing look so easy! It’s really tough though. I wish I could say that the icing below was the work of my 3-year-old daughter but fortunately I don’t have a 3-year-old (and I don’t plan on having one anytime soon) and unfortunately these are my masterpieces…
- 1 large banana (~5oz) ~ $0.25
- 3/4 cup of shredded coconut (~2.5oz) ~ $0.75
- Batch of 10 cookies ~ $1.00
Cost per cookie ~ $0.10
It is not possible to find a better use for a dime than banana coconut cookies. In fact, I would prefer all dimes be banana coconut cookies! Who’s with me?!
Who knew you cookies could taste so good without any added sugar! The banana and coconut combine to give all the sweetness any cookie lover could ask for. And for the cost of a couple bananas and shredded coconut from the bulk section at the grocery store, cookies can now be on the menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Yet another example of great ingredients creating great food at a low cost!
As always, make informed food decisions. Know your ingredients, know your costs!