What makes eggs better? Pesto. What makes beans better? Pesto. What makes salad better? Pesto. What makes my life better? Pesto (and my beautiful, loving girlfriend, of course!). I think you’re starting to see the theme here. Pesto makes everything better. And what makes better, even better? A jar of almond cashew pesto that only costs $6 and can be made in 10 minutes.
Ingredients (1 Mason Jar):
- 1/2 cups of almonds, roasted and salted
- 1/2 cup of cashews, roasted and salted
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 25 grams of basil leaves (get yourself a food scale)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 TBSP of lemon juice
- Food processor
- Citrus juicer
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
- Blend until desired consistency is reached.
- That’s it! Enjoy!
- I’m serious there are no more steps!
Total Time = 10 Minutes (8 minutes to prep, 2 minutes to combine)
- 1/2 cup of almonds ~$1.50
- 1/2 cup of cashews ~ $1.50
- 1/2 cup of olive oil ~ $1
- 25 grams of basil ~ $1.50 (Even cheaper if you grow your own!)
- 1 garlic clove ~ $0.10
- 1 TSBP of lemon juice ~ $0.15
Total cost for a Mason Jar of Cashew or Almond Pesto ~ $5.75
Pesto is no longer for restaurant meals only. Pesto can and should be an every-day-multiple-times-a-day sort of thing. Pesto is a great dish to play around with: experiment with pine nuts, walnuts, pecans or even sunflower seeds and find out what you like best. Then use it to take any already delicious home cooked meal to the next level. And, as hard as it may be, make sure to share!
As always, make informed food decisions. Know your ingredients, know your costs!