What’s orange, red, green and baked in a muffin tin? Sweet potato haystacks of course! For $0.60 a stack, it’s time for muffins to take a back seat to these colorful creations!
Ingredients (12 stacks):
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- Green onion
- 2 eggs
- Avocado oil
- Kosher salt
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne to taste
- Cheese grater
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Small bowl
- Muffin tin
- Peel sweet potato and use the large holes on the cheese grater to shred it into the large bowl.
- Dice peppers, onion, green onion and add to bowl.
- In the small bowl, mix eggs, kosher salt, black pepper, and cayenne until spices evenly distributed.
- Pour egg mixture into large bowl and stir up with your hands or a spoon.
- Use the brush to paint muffin tin with avocado oil.
- Scoop mixture into muffin tin and compress with your hands or spoon.
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes.
- Increase temperature to 425F and bake for 15 minutes.
- Use a spoon to scoop haystacks out of muffin tin onto your plate, garnish with some more green onion and enjoy!
Total Time = 50 minutes (15 minutes to prep, 35 minutes to cook)
Step 6 – Should look something like this going into the oven:
- 1 sweet potato ~ $1
- 1 organic green pepper ~ $2
- 1 organic red pepper ~ $2
- 1 yellow onion ~ $0.75
- Green onion ~ $0.25
- 2 eggs ~ $0.75
- Avocado oil ~ $0.25
- Salt, pepper, and cayenne ~ negligible
Cost per entire muffin tin (12 haystacks) = $7
Cost per haystack = ~$0.60
Look at you. Not only did you re-purpose a standard kitchen tool in a new way, you made a unique dish guaranteed to liven up any breakfast, lunch or dinner plate. Not bad for less than an hour’s work!
As always, make informed food decisions. Know your ingredients, know your costs!